Moving the sconce from its dubious position in the vestibule was simpler than I imagined it would be: the electrician completed the removal, rewiring, and installation in half an hour or less. There was a few pieces of drywall scraps and powder, so I used the Wet/Dry Vac to tidy up and began mudding and taping when he left.
Here’s a photo story with rudimentary commentary.
The best way to conquer the hallway renovation project is to attack it in stages. There are several areas that must be addressed, including the vestibule, the hallway, the stairs, the floors, the lighting, and the color palette. Each of these can be considered a stage where I focus on that item alone, taking a modular approach where I finish one aspect before moving on to the next logical aspect.
I’ve decided to tackle the vestibule renovation first because it will give me immediate satisfaction and motivate me to tackle the rest of the renovation project. Frankly, the vestibule appears to be the easiest part of this project and it would be ideal if I finished it before winter arrives (working in the winter would make mudding, taping, and painting especially difficult).