Moving the sconce from its dubious position in the vestibule was simpler than I imagined it would be: the electrician completed the removal, rewiring, and installation in half an hour or less. There was a few pieces of drywall scraps and powder, so I used the Wet/Dry Vac to tidy up and began mudding and taping when he left.
Here’s a photo story with rudimentary commentary.
The electrician had to cut through the plaster detail and I’ll have to patch it back when he’s done. This won’t be an easy task on 11′ ceilings.
I’m keeping the ceramic fixture in place until I find a suitable replacement.
Filling and patching the holes was a straight-forward task. You can see the early stages of replacing the detail in the plaster.
I applied many thin layers of joint compound over the cutout and then began forming, refining, and sanding the patch as I went along. The existing detail isn’t in pristine condition so I stopped short of making a perfectly machined mold. Leaving the patch in a distressed state will complete the look better.